If you think of Laos as a small country in Southeast Asia with very few attractive tourist spots, you might be wrong. If you don’t believe yet, have a visit to Savannakhet Province to discover many interesting things.Located on the East – West Economic Corridor, with the largest population and the most developed economy in central Laos, Savannakhet is also a tourist attraction. So what does this province have to draw visitors? Follow me in this article to know the answer.
1. That Ing Hang Stupa15km northeast of the central area of Savannakhet, That Ing Hang Stupa is considered the second pilgrimage site (besides Wat Phu – Champasak in south Laos). This structure has been restored and expanded to become a huge complex since 1548.
|That Ing Hang Stupa with unique architecture|
2. That Phone StupaAnother popular stupa in Savannakhet is That Phone Stupa. It was built during a long time from 557 to 700.
|That Phone Stupa - a famous pilgrimage place in Savannakhet|
3. Wat SainyaphumWat Sainyaphum is the oldest temple on the banks of Mekong River in Savannakhet. Although it was constructed a long time ago, not until 1542, it was restored on a large scale with the sangha of over 200 members. This place is both a pilgrimage site and Sanskrit Buddhist school where monks are trained.
|Wat Sainyaphum - The oldest temple in Savannakhet|
4. Heuan Hinh Stone House65km south of Savannakhet, Heuan Hinh is a house completely built of monolithic stones. Its architecture is similar to that of a temple. Heuan Hinh Stone House was constructed in 553 B.C with Cham or Khmer architecture style.
|Heuan Hinh Stone House - a historical and cultural antiquity of Savannakhet|
5. Dinosaur MuseumThe name might tell you what this place has. In this museum, tourists can admire dinosaur skeletons of the prehistoric time. The most outstanding among them is the ninety-million-year skeleton with 15 yards in length discovered by Jouse Heilman Hoffet (a French geographer) in 1936.
Dinosaur Museum is an exciting destination for those who are interested in Laos history
With above places, I believe that your trip to Savannakhet will be full of memorable experience. Enjoy it!